Saturday, September 3, 2011

SatMorn Update

 ------------------

   I'm back, peoples, and it's kinda been a long time.  I skipped posting up any art last week b/c I felt I hadn't made enough progress (and the fact I've abandoned the Suzuka and cloud pictures, MOTL), and throughout the time since then I have just been focusing intently on finding my strengths w/ Corel and the real direction I want to take my stuff in.  Welp, I'm back now; I feel like I've gotten a fair deal of tough shit done, some ample progress, and I'll also show off one of the newer pieces I'm now just starting on.  So let's jump in there, eh?..

   Like I just said earlier, Suzuka and that cloud painting have been put on hiatus, indefinitely.  I've learned a great deal from the effort put in both, but finishing them won't allow me to do that much in terms of reflecting what I can do *now*.  And, that's what it's really about; I need to do pieces that reflect relatively well where I'm at right now.  I drew those Outlaw Star pics weeks ago (my drawing skills have improved dramatically sense then, if I do say so myself ;) and the clouds one was just started on a whim to get used to painting them (which I am now,...well, at least cumulonimbus clouds are x3).  It's probably true that you can turn anything to a high level of polish regardless of its starting state, but everything can only be improved by such a measure, if the underlying foundation can accommodate.  That's why I've moved from those pieces for now; I have a pursuit to push myself to the levels of the artists I admire such as Joe Vriens...



Genzoman...


and Artgerm....


  ....and it might seem a little impossible to try and cram so much effort in so little time but I'm just that hungry to improve, I'd say.  Of course, I can't neglect what progress I make at any time or depreciate that feeling of satisfaction over any piece, so even w/ these works I have discontinued, I feel eternally grateful for what they've helped me learn, as all of that carries over into the newer works (the ones here, I WILL be finishing btw!).


 
Newer version; grainy, rough, but the foundation's there...


   This is the new 'Blue Mary' piece I may or may not have mentioned a while ago.  I think this drawing's about maybe 2-3 weeks old by now (if not older), but it's still newer than Poison.  I've always been a sort of semi-closet fan of SNK's characters; the original FF3 movie got me hooked into ther aesthetics and universe, and while I may tend to favor Capcom fighters from a pure playability POV, in comparison to the older SF games I think many of the later FF and some of the KOF games more than hold their own.  One thing that's always impressed me w/ them is their sense of detail and atmosphere in their backgrounds; by comparison I don't think it was until Darkstalkers where I began really caring for backgrounds of Capcom's fighters, but SNK had that on-lock from the original FF.  A small cavet sure, but still...

 
A much older drawing done back February of the same char

   Anyway, I actually decided to do Blue Mary b/c I had drawn her a few months ago and inked her out, but never finished.  I was going to color her digitally and all, but I just kinda moved on.  Looking back, I can appreciate what I was able to do w/ that one then, but I knew I could do a much better job now and henceforth I'm carrying onward w/ the new rendition.  I'm really trying to push for 'full-inclusive' sorts of shots now; work in some focus, some drama, some strong sense of perspective, proportion, foreshortening and composition.  It amazes me sometimes how some really technically awesome artists, when you really think about it, stay in some very basic rooms on some of that mentioned stuff.  That's the sort of box trap I'm hoping to avoid.  Certainly I can see why some may be that way, b/c personal struggle @ this moment indicates that just getting one or two of that sort of stuff down is very challenging, and w/ different subject matter only that much more so.  But yeah..back to the picture (lolz)..at the very least I hope it seems like Mary is "reaching out" to the viewer.

    Although painting has started on this one, it's so crude @ the moment I'd rather not upload it just yet.  Next week tho, I can definitely put up the painting (for all I know it might be finished by then too...just shot myself in the foot, didn't I?)



I would've put the coloring for the jeans and shirt up, but the shirt is terrible atm and why put up the jeans w/o the shirt x3?

P.S: Also, still no lines; haven't inked them yet :S

   Now w/ Poison, I've finally gotten most of the base work done; the areas to tackle from here are the textures and lighting.  Oh, and I still need to do the linework as well (the paper will be getting got TODAY, thankfully).  It's been a tall order, and in-between the week I've had to really reorganize some files to make them easier to access and compressing active memory consumption, but all the effort's been worth it.


 The original reference photo...

  Somehow, I seem to be pushing for a more realistic look, not necessarily hyperrealism but not quite as simple as some of the more 'basic' anime shading either (which would actually be harder w/ my mouse setup, plus the fact I don't tend to use colors directly, aka I'm a Glazeman).  Somewhat unexpected but maybe just natural coincidence.  Yesterday alone I spent a good deal of time trying to paint some convincing lipstick/lipgloss  and some skin texturing...the issue of constraint and finding a balance btwn too little and too much realism is really daunting, but one step at a time, I would suppose.

     Btw, a closer look at the lips: busted my ass trying to somewhat replicate the ref but not ripping it.  Some more tune-up work and could have something to go w/ for real ;)


 
..and my result, many layers and strokes l8r...
   
   I'll leave it @ that for today's update.  I do have an inkling to catch up on some games and films I haven't had the chance to do so w/ over the week, but at the same time...I REALLY don't wanna stop drawing and painting x3.  Will definitely continue to try painting more of both pics throughout the day and just noting what works for me and what doesn't.  At the very least, it feels good to have a head filled w/ some useful jargon again.  Hope you all enjoyed the stuff, pleae look forward to next time.  L8r and have an awesome weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment