Saturday, July 16, 2011

Saturday Morning Updates


---------------

  What's up everyone?  Today I have some more WIPs (oh, as usual, the dredgery x3); I can only roughly gauge out how much longer it'll take both, but I'll try keeping the updates from here on to a minimum.  Let's not waste any time then, shall we?...



  First, Valkyrie.  The progress so far is about to the halfway point of the finish.  I went ahead and added in much more detail for pretty much everything, basing it around the concept that I'd be using this layer to represent texture, shape and solid definition.  Henceforth, that's the same reason I have not done the same w/ the sword, gown, and skin; these things do not have normally solid textures or hard definitions; they are more subtle and dependent more on the effect of light.  So the next round of painting will involve carrying that concept throughout the whole piece, using more values and pushing around the hues a little in thinner glazes to (hopefully) achieve a softer and more realistic look.  I say hopefully b/c-like almost everything else in this piece-I'm learning as I go.

  Actually, yesterday I had a major fuck-up with the hair, getting the values all wrong and contemplating if I should just let it slide or re-block it.  The former would've been a dick move, but the latter had me worried simply b/c I didn't wan to EVER layer the paint on so thick for one step, worrying about cracking.  To my surprise, taking the latter route has benefited the picture immensely.  Her hair is closer to what it should've been the first time, and the paint layed down extremely well w/ no cracking (and maybe just minimum chipping).  Even so, I think for future pieces I'll use some gesso on the ground to support this technique better in the future.




  This one here is being done moreso for myself and possibly portfolio reasons (depending on how well it turns out) than a client.  The characters are-from left to right-Suzuka, Melfina, Aisha and Jim, from the 1998 anime Outlaw Star.  I remember OS coming on Toonami way back in the day, I must've been in middle school, certianly.  Didn't give it the time of day then due to being so infused into DBZ, but it's easy to tell that it's aged much better than Akira Toriyama's epic (though, given they're quite different in so many ways, that isn't too fair to say).  I've really been enjoying this show recently and wish I had watched it sooner, but that's alright.  Now I can do these awesome fanartz!!

  Since it's summertime, I just wanted to take the three leading ladies and the easiest male pushover and do something fun and tropical w/ them.  Although, the excessive shading might be at odds w/ a supposedly "lightweight" and "fun, tropical" theme...but atleast there's an ocean above and fish swimming!  See?!?  They're riiiiigggggghttttttt...........there!  Lolz; seriously though, I took this one up as an opportunity to sharpen my pure lining and shading skills, which have gotten complacent the past few months.  I haven't tried a drawing this shading-heavy in a few years, actually :S.  It's also been a good excuse to use up whatever amount of black marker I have left..in fact the only reason this one might take longer than it should is solely b/c of that marker drying up at the halfway point (though I hope that doesn't happen) delaying the finish.  The other colors are okay atm though.  I just don't want Aisha to find out my little confession involving the black marker...she's gonna have a fit w/ me taking so long xD.

  Well there you go peoples; I won't be posting anything else on Valkyrie for another week or so, and w/ any luck I should have the Outlaw Star piece done by middle of next week.  So to my fellow artists out there, I wish you the best in your pursuits and don't let frustration knock 'ya down; it's just an invitation to try harder ;).  Take care you all and have a gr8 week; l8r.

No comments:

Post a Comment