Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bilstein Update


---------------

  What's up?  Today's going to be a mess around here, it's raining and-tho I've yet to check the weather forecast-I get the feeling it'll be this way on through 'till bedtime.  I like my outdoors time :(.

   Not a big update like I wanted today; I've been working on a group of new illustrations but want to hold out until Saturday to post them (that would include the background image for Pro-Spec), so in the meantime I have a considerable update for Bilstein.


   The flats have pretty much been put in and the first wave of underpainting's done for the big man and his chair.  When I say it was a tall order given all the little details, I really mean that.  But I know I'm getting much faster at this 'easy bulk work' now as well, and that's a good thing b/c it means the difficult stuff can be given more attention, particularly the effects and finishing touch.

  As of now, I'm moving the picture in a different mood than I originally considered.  It was going to be a sort of 'golden renaissance' piece w/ a dominant hue range of cool yellow and red earths and a warm cadmium-like yellow.  Basically, something warmer and 'royal'-like I'd suppose.  Well, had I been serious w/ that, I'd of actually picked some Terra Rossa or Golden Ochre on my palette, but instead I picked some dark greenish-blue, earth greens, cool earth reds and warm earth yellow (I'll leave it to your imagination to figure out the colors).  That's what has led to this very grim-ish, almost cyberpunk-worthy color palette, and I like that.  Always wanted to do something a little darker and forboding, and since this guy is technically a villian (and the series invested in high-tech awesomeness), it fits him like a glove.  Plus I learned some neat stuff about the colors on my palette so far, and expect to learn even more as I finish this up.

  Since I only have 'till the 30th to complete this, the next update will be the finished piece.  After that, I have another project entry to get to work on while I also begin tackling the background for the Pro-Spec site.  Just b/c the holidays are around the corner doesn't mean there's time for a guy like me to rest down and hit Santa Claus on the cell.  Indeed, he'd probably be using Rudolph emoticons in his texts...that idea's always bothered me for some reason...

   Okay that's it for now; see you when I come around the weekend.  L8r.

No comments:

Post a Comment