Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Bilstein Lineart


---------------------------

  Good Wednesday people; I'm not up to posting a lengthy blog today, but as per usual I come in w/ a midweek update.  This time, it's the finished inks for my Bilstein boss tribute entry.  These should've been finished earlier, but I ran into the issue of working on multiple pieces.  Some of those are on hold @ the moment as I continue painting this one (I'll probably post some painting progress next week if it isn't already done by then or close to being done by that time).


  I'm still experimenting w/ line weighing to achieve the best results, and it doesn't help that-on the paper I use-my smallest pen (at least the Prismacolor one; haven't given the Fabel-Castell one any use yet as there's no need) still goes a little heavy-handed on some areas, tho I could use some further refinement in adjusting pressure of the hand on the surface.  Indeed, I didn't really 'get' into the groove for the inking until around halfway through, and seeing as how I have to ink the image twice (once to cover details, then again to close gaps after erasing), I could've gone much easier on the 1st round.  Notice for next time.
  Also went ahead and changed his left arm quite a deal from what I had going for a while.  The old position (not sure if that's in the WIP I posted earlier; doubt it) just wasn't convincing.  Inking this image was somewhat a nightmare, and like I've said before the sheer amount of detail and non-organic features on Bilstein was a big factor.  I definitely will be trying more inorganic, geometric objects to draw in the future (might as well go look for that ruler while at it) so characters and instances like Bilstein aren't as much of a problem.

   Even so, I'm fairly satisfied w/ how the lines have turned out.  Due to the way I paint, a lot of these lines will either end up getting chopped or trimmed down a lot, something I thought of doing w/ Mai but only sparingly did so.  In fact, as I attest to in the opening, painting's already started.  Hoping to have the flats done today (no biggie), and working on the underpainting w/ what time can be afforded.  In any event it should not take long to finish this one, even tho the amount of detail is heavy, simply b/c the overall color palette is going to be smaller (if that actually qualifies for noting if anything's gonna be easier x3).

   Next week I'll come back w/ an update on this, my Alita pic and the background image I'm using for the Pro-Spec blog (yes, I finally got around to the damn thing xD), all at various points of completion.  Meanwhile I'll be drawing, living and tying up loose ends.  Take care; l8r.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment