Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mai Shiranui Step 2

  Back again peoples, after a few more hours of working on the Mai picture I started yesterday, and was supposed to be a single-sitting session.  However, my own process seems to keep elongating the time compared to what it could be, so even today she's not gettin' done.  In fact, it might be a few more days before she's completed.



   The reason why's simple:  if I spend six-seven hours a day on it (keeping in mind I'm still learning as I go along), at least a fourth or more of that time is me purely mixing my colors and making test swatches.  A digital program might have all the colors I need right then and there, but by hand it's a pretty laborious process and requires pinpoint balance.  Nevermind the fact diluting paint w/o water is a science in itself, so yeah, it's taking a while.  Leave it to me to underestimate my own working time x3.

   So for now, I'll take it a 'layer' at a time.  I consider multiple glazes of the same colors to count to a layer, until I end up needed to reduce the medium amount or deepen the color in the actual mix, which is where the next layer starts.  Ironically it's coming off a lot like an oil painting technique ("fat over lean")..I'm sure there are other ways to accomplish the same effects, but I'm not @ that point yet to know what they are or execute them in practice (which, really, is where it would matter).

   Still, at least the basic colors have been bought out some and some details are being worked in.  I'm deliberately leaving the skin for last b/c it'll require a wholly different approach than the rest of the picture, and the background should get a good spice-up sometime during all this shit.  The whole thing should get done in maybe another few days, since I have other pictures to attend to in the meanwhile.  That's just how it goes, I suppose.

   Sorry Mai, your face won't be in the mail until quite l8r this week, but as the old adage goes, "slow and steady wins the race".  Be back l8r everyone; take care and be awesome.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment